As a member of the Canon family of companies (“Canon”), Canon Solutions America, Inc. (“Canon Solutions America”), a subsidiary of Canon U.S.A., Inc. (“Canon U.S.A.”) is committed to protecting your privacy. This Privacy Statement describes the information we collect from you, either online through this or any of the websites, social or mobile pages owned or operated by Canon Solutions America, whether accessed via computer, mobile device or other technology, (“Device”) or offline via your purchase of Canon Solutions America’s products, services, software, or other goods or interaction with Canon Solutions America’s agents or employees (collectively “Services”), and how that information will be used. Please see the Appendix to access translations of this Privacy Statement and any applicable country- specific references.
- THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- HOW WE USE INFORMATION
- WITH WHOM WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
- OUR COMMITMENT TO CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
- YOUR CHOICES ABOUT COLLECTION AND USE OF YOUR INFORMATION
- THIRD-PARTY WEB SITES AND INTEREST-BASED MARKETING
- USER GENERATED CONTENT
- INFORMATION SECURITY
- VISITING OUR WEB SITE FROM OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES
- RIGHT TO CHANGE INTERNET PRIVACY STATEMENT
- YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
- HOW TO CONTACT US
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT CANON DEVICES AND CLOUD SOLUTIONS AND SERVICES
- COUNTRY SPECIFIC APPENDIX
1. The Information We Collect
We and our service providers may collect information when you provide information to us and when information is collected automatically.
Personal Information You may choose to give us personally identifiable information online to allow us to communicate with you, process your orders, or provide you with services. Our online forms ask for a small amount of relevant information, such as name, email, street address, and phone number. Some forms may ask for your a product serial number. If you make a purchase, we may ask for your credit card number and billing information. Job applicants may be requested to provide information such as educational background, employment experience, and job interest.
The types of personal information Canon Solutions America may collect from you include:
- personal and business contact information, such as name, address, telephone number, and email address;
- financial information, such as your credit/debit card number or other billing information;
- other unique information such as user IDs and passwords associated with your Device and/or your Canon Solutions America account, product functionality, product and service preferences, contact preferences, educational and employment background, and job interest data;
- geo-location data such as your IP address, physical location, and other similar information made available when you request location based services;
- details of the products and services you have purchased from us or which you have enquired about, together with any additional information necessary to deliver those products and services and to respond to your enquiries;
- any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our websites or indirectly through use of our websites or online presence, through our representatives or otherwise; and
- information you provide to us through our service center, customer surveys or visits by our representatives from time to time.
In addition to the information you may provide, Canon Solutions America may collect information when you access or use the Service or a website “powered by” another company on behalf of Canon Solutions America through our use of data collection technologies, including web beacons, cookies, and embedded web links. These technologies collect certain traffic information that your browser sends to a web site, such as your browser type and language, access times, and the address of the web site from which you arrived. They may also collect information about your Internet Protocol (IP) address, unique device identifier, clickstream behavior (i.e., the pages you view, the links you click, and other actions you take in connection with Canon Solutions America websites or “powered by” websites) and product information. Canon Solutions America may also use some of these technologies in connection with emails and communications sent from Canon Solutions America and therefore may collect information using these tools when you open the email or click on a link contained in the email.
If you would prefer not to accept Cookies, most browsers will allow you to: (i) change your browser settings to notify you when you receive a Cookie, which lets you choose whether or not to accept it; (ii) disable existing Cookies; or (iii) set your browser to automatically reject any Cookies.
Please be aware that if you disable or reject Cookies, some features and services on our Services may not work properly.
Other Technologies. We may use standard Internet technology, such as web beacons (also called clear GIFs or pixel tags) and other similar technologies, to track your use of our Services. We also may include web beacons in e-mail messages, newsletters and advertisements to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon. The information we obtain in this manner enables us to customize the Services we offer and measure the overall effectiveness of our online content and the products and services we offer through the Services.
Digital Analytics. We may use web analytics tools such as IBM Digital Analytics to improve the effectiveness of our Service and related marketing and promotions. To manage your preferences with respect to IBM Digital Analytics click here .
Collection by Third Parties. We may allow third parties, including our authorized service providers, advertising agencies and marketing partners to use tracking technologies, such as cookies and web beacons, to collect non-personal information about your visits to this and other web sites on the Service. This information generally enables them to track and gauge the effectiveness of our Service and of various marketing campaigns and to serve ads about goods and services that may be of interest to you when you visit other web sites across the Internet.
Use of Public Information. Canon Solutions America also collects information from publicly or commercially available sources that it deems credible. Such information may include your name, address, email address, preferences, interests, and demographic/profile data. The information Canon Solutions America collects from its public or commercial sources may be used along with the information Canon Solutions America collects when you access or use the Service. For example, Canon Solutions America may compare the geographic information acquired from publicly available sources with the IP address collected by the technologies discussed above to derive your general geographic area.
2. How We Use Information
We may store, analyze and otherwise use the information we collect to:
- Improve the Services and the way we do business with our current and potential employees, customers and dealers;
- Respond to your questions and requests;
- Communicate you with you about your transactions on the Service, our products, services, and other promotions;
- Deliver the products and services you have requested;
- Manage your account and provide you with customer support;
- Provide you with information about other Canon products and promotions that may be of interest to you;
- Perform research and analysis about usage and potential interest in our products, services, or content;
- Develop and display content and advertising tailored to your interests on our Services;
- Enforce this Privacy Statement and the Terms and Conditions of Use , including to protect the rights, property or safety of Canon Solutions America, its dealers, or any other person and the copyright-protected content of the Services;
- Support the technical functioning of the Services, develop new products and services, and analyze your use of the Services, including your interaction with advertising, products and services that are made available, linked to or offered in the Services; and
- As otherwise stated in this Privacy Notice.
If you contact us through one of our online contact forms (e.g., Support by E-mail, Chat, or Phone), your information is used to respond to your specific questions or requests. The information you provide through one of our contact forms will not be used for any other purpose, unless you specifically authorize us to do so.
Financial Information. We may use financial information or payment method information to process payment for any purchases or sales made on our web site, to protect against or identify possible fraudulent transactions, and otherwise as needed to manage our business.
3. With Whom We Share Your Information
We are part of the Canon family of companies and may share your information with our parent company, subsidiaries, and affiliates.
Third Parties Providing Services on our Behalf
Canon Solutions America retains service providers and suppliers to manage or support its business operations, provide professional services, deliver products, services and customer solutions and to assist with marketing and communication initiatives. These providers include, for example, credit card processors, debt collectors, providers of customer support and live-help, marketing and communications, hosting and IT service providers, marketing partners, email service providers, automated data processors, shipping agents, management and support of Canon Solutions America websites, order fulfillment and delivery. We may share your information with these companies to enable them to provide you with services on our behalf, and third parties for the purpose of conducting general business analysis. For example, we may share website usage and marketing information with our marketing partners to use for our marketing purposes as well as theirs.
In addition, if you inquire about a product that Canon Solutions America does not sell directly, we may forward your information to a Canon Solutions America dealer, distributor or other reseller, and they may reach out to you about your product needs. In any event, the third parties with whom we conduct business are obligated to use your information only to perform the service for which they are hired.
We may also share your personal information:
- In response to a subpoena or similar investigative demand, a court order, or a request for cooperation from law enforcement or other government agency; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases, we may raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
- When we believe disclosure is appropriate in connection with efforts to investigate, prevent, or take other action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud or other wrongdoing; to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, our employees, or others; to comply with applicable law or cooperate with law enforcement; or to enforce our web site Terms and Conditions or other agreements or policies.
- In connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of our business, a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
4. Our Commitment to Children’s Privacy
Protecting the privacy of the very young is especially important. Canon Solutions America does not target its Services to children under 13. We do not knowingly collect information from children under 13 without complying with applicable law.
5. Your Choices About Collection and Use of Your Information
You have the right to tell us:
- to provide you with a copy of the personal information we have about you
- to correct or update your personal information
- not to contact you in the future
- to delete your personal information
- not to share your personal information with third parties
- not to use your personal information to provide you with information or offers, or not to send you emails or other communications
If you no longer wish to receive communications from Canon Solutions America, please notify us at email@example.com . If you wish to update your e-mail address in our records, click here to update your information . You will be given the opportunity in any commercial e-mail that we send to you to opt out of receiving such e-mail messages in the future. Please note that we may send you other types of transactional and relationship e-mail communications, such as service announcements and administrative notices without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
Your opt-out request will be processed within 10 days of the date on which we receive it. We are under no obligation to store your personal information indefinitely and disclaim any liability arising out of, or related to, the destruction of such personal information. It may not always be possible to completely remove or delete all of your information from our databases without some residual data because of backups and other reasons.
We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
6. Third-Party Web Sites and Internet-Based Marketing
Links. There are a number of places on our Services where you may click on a link to access other web sites that do not operate under this Privacy Statement. For example, if you click on an advertisement or a third-party logo on our Services, you may be taken to a web site that we do not control. These third-party web sites, including services managed by Canon Solutions America’s parent and affiliated companies, may independently solicit and collect information, including personal information, from you. We recommend that you consult the privacy statements of all third-party web sites you visit by clicking on the “privacy” link typically located at the bottom of the web page you are visiting.
Internet-Based Marketing. We contract with third-party advertising agencies, marketing partners and other service providers to serve advertisements when you visit our web site or other web sites across the Internet. The advertisements placed on these third-party web sites may use tracking technologies, such as cookies and web beacons, to collect anonymous information about your visits to this and other web sites. We may also share anonymous information with these companies in aggregate form and/or partner with these companies to provide interest-based advertising both on and off web sites operated by Canon Solutions America. In either case, the purpose of the sharing is to provide advertisements about goods and services that may be of interest to you, analyzing and improving the effectiveness of ads and e-mails, and improving and enhancing our web site and its content.
To the extent that information is collected over time and across websites to help provide you with advertisements based on your interests, this information is anonymous and does not contain your Personal Information.
Do Not Track
The Canon Solutions America website is not currently configured to recognize “do not track” signals sent as a header by Internet browsers. However, other settings within your browser may permit you to block cookies or other technology that enable websites to collect information that can be used to tailor advertisements to your interest. Please check your browser’s settings or consult your browser’s help information for more details.
7. User Generated Content
8. Information Security
When you submit information to Canon Solutions America through our Services, you should be aware that your information is transmitted across multiple computer systems on the Internet. Although we take steps to protect your information, data security technologies constantly are evolving. Because no method of transmitting or storing electronic data on the Internet is ever completely secure, we cannot guarantee that such information will never be accessed, used, or released in a manner that is inconsistent with this Statement.
9. Visiting Our Web Site From Outside of The United States
Given that we are an international business, our use of your information necessarily involves the transmission of data on an international basis. The Canon Solutions America servers that process the data you provide us are located in the United States, Japan and other jurisdictions. By using the Services, or providing us with any information, you expressly consent to the collection, processing, maintenance and transfer of such information in the United States and other countries where the privacy laws may be different from those in the country where you reside and/or are a citizen, and waive any claims relating to the collection, processing, or transfer of data outside of your country of residence.10. Right to Modify this Privacy Statement
Canon Solutions America reserves the right to modify this Privacy Statement at any time at its sole discretion. In the event material changes are made to this Privacy Statement, Canon Solutions America will notify you through placing a notice on the Service, and giving you the option to consent to the modifications. Please note that if you do not agree to the modified Privacy Statement, You may not use the Services.
11. Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 gives California residents the right to request, from a business with whom the California resident has an established business relationship, certain information with respect to the types of personal information the business shares with third parties for direct marketing purposes by such third-party, and the identities of the third parties with whom the business has shared such information during the immediately preceding year. To request a copy of the information disclosure provided by Canon Solutions America, Inc. pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1798.83, please contact us at the address listed below.
Canon Solutions America strives to collect, use and disclose Personal Information in a manner consistent with the privacy and data security laws of the countries in which it does business. Because of the differences among these jurisdictions, Canon Solutions America has adopted a Privacy Statement which creates a common core of values, policies and procedures intended to achieve nearly universal compliance, supplemented with alternative or additional policies or implementation procedures applicable in those jurisdictions with unique requirements.
While this Privacy Statement is intended to describe the broadest range of our information processing activities, those processing activities may be more limited in some jurisdictions based on the restrictions of their laws. For example, the laws of a particular country may limit the types of Personal Information we can collect or the manner in which we process that information. In those instances, we adjust our internal policies and practices to reflect the requirements of local law and local laws will prevail over terms in this Privacy Statement.
13. How to Contact Us
Should you have questions or concerns about this Statement, please click here or mail your inquiry to Canon Solutions America. One Canon Park, Melville, New York 11747.
14. Additional Information About Canon Devices and Cloud Solutions and Services
In addition to the collection and usage practices described in this Privacy Statement, this information applies to the software and services associated with certain Canon Solutions America devices and certain cloud solutions and services offered by Canon. Canon Solutions America collects and uses device and in some instances registered user specific information in the following ways:
Account Set-Up. If you set up an account to receive services we provide through your device or through a Cloud solution or service, we may collect your name, phone number, email address, account settings and other required information to process your registration and provide those services.
Cloud and other Services. If you use services we provide either through your device or as part of other solutions Canon Solutions America provides, we will collect information relevant to providing the services and as you designate. For example:
- Device Diagnostics, Analytics and Updates. In order to improve our product and service offerings, your device may include remote diagnostics, analytics, and software update services. Your device collects technical information related to your device (including serial number, unique device identifier, diagnostic information, usage and crash logs, application configurations, consumables status etc.) as required to help identify and troubleshoot issues, and to provide and improve service.
- Location-Based Services. When you use location-based services, we will collect, transmit, maintain, process, and use your location and usage data (including both real time geographic information and information that can be used to approximate location) in order to provide location-based experience.
You may choose whether or not to provide your personal information to us. If you choose not to do so, you may not be able to take advantage of certain products, services, offers, or options that depend on personal information.